The Department of Education is a beehive of academic activities from its inception in 1953. The building of the Department of Education was inaugurated by the eminent Philosopher and Former President of India Dr.S.Radhakrishnan on 26th December 1955. The Department offers B.Ed., M.Ed., M.Phil., Ph.D., and D.Litt courses. All the Teacher Education Programmes are recognized by the NCTE. The members of the faculty (Professors (5), Associate Professors (4), Assistant Professors (14), Programmer (1)) keep in constant touch with the latest developments in the field of education as visualized by various Education Commissions and National Polices on Education, in order to face with confidence the challenges of education in the dynamic technological world and become a global centre of excellence. It has spacious R.K.Shanmugam Chettiyar building with requisite for teaching, learning, research and extensional activities. The faculty periodically restructures and updates the courses to match international standards. The Vision of the Department is “Preparing the competency based commitment oriented teachers to create a better progressive social order, promotion of research, experimentation and development of productive efficiency of the educand". The Department of education is supported by UGC under SAP - DRS. The distinguished alumni of the Department of Education are working as Vice-Chancellor, Head of the Departments in various Universities, Principals in various colleges,Chief Education Officers andDistrict Education Officers. The first and present Vice Chancellors of the Tamilnadu Teachers Education University and the former Vice Chancellor of Madurai Kamaraj University are the Alumni of the Department of Education.