Sri Meenakshi College, the nucleus of Annamalai University itself had the Department of History from 1920. When the College took incarnation as Annamalai University in 1929, the Department became a full-fledged one. The Department to its credit possesses a full-fledged Library. Besides, it has maintained a Museum possessing some rare archaeological antiquities meant to impart the variegated aspects of historical knowledge. A galaxy of distinguished historians has headed this Department such as Prof.K.A.Nilakanta Sastri, Prof.P.T.Srinivasa Iyengar, Prof.C.S.Srinivasachari, Prof. P.C.Alexander & Prof.R.Sathianathaier.